CBD For Menopause
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a naturally occurring compound found in both hemp and cannabis plants. Unlike THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the psychoactive component of the cannabis plant, CBD will not make anyone feel high or experience any of the other psychoactive effects commonly associated with both cannabis and marijuana.
Researchers have discovered that CBD may be effective for the treatment of disorders and diseases such as anxiety and depression, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, and fibromyalgia, among others. And while more research is needed, initial findings look promising.
Most recently, scientists have discovered that CBD may also be effective in aiding with reducing the severity of symptoms associated with menopause.
How CBD May Be Effective in Treating Menopause
It is thought that CBD positively reacts with the human body’s own cannabinoid receptors to help alleviate and treat the signs and symptoms of menopause. What most individuals do not know is that the human body has its own natural endocannabinoid system, or collection of receptors in the brain called cannabinoid receptors, that are found in the organs, tissues, brain, and other places throughout the body.
The endocannabinoid system interacts with chemical messengers like CBD to positively affect human health. More specifically, the endocannabinoid system is responsible for playing an important role in:
- Temperature regulation
- Mood regulation
- Immune system functioning
- Reproduction and fertility
Scientists and doctors think that if the endocannabinoid system is not functioning properly, then the body will become susceptible to various conditions and ailments. When CBD is used as part of a health regimen, the compound can successfully manipulate the chemicals within the endocannabinoid system to treat and alleviate conditions such as the ones listed above.
Since menopause disrupts the endocannabinoid system and other receptors in the female reproductive system, it is very possible that CBD can help reduce the majority of the symptoms related to menopause.
What are the Symptoms of Menopause?
During the course of a woman’s life, every time an egg matures, the body is flooded with estrogen. During menopause, all of those eggs are gone, menstruation stops, and estrogen dwindles. During perimenopause, estrogen levels fluctuate and brain neurochemistry changes. In response to this, a woman’s body will then produce inflammatory molecules. This results in weight gain and bone loss. However, it’s important to keep in mind that each woman’s menopause experience is different.
Menopause can cause of a variety of different symptoms in women. CBD can be helpful in treating and alleviating some of these symptoms including:
- Mood Changes: Mood changes are one of the most common symptoms of menopause. Estrogen and progesterone have a major influence on serotonin and neurotransmitter activity. When hormone levels become erratic and then eventually decrease, the body’s neurochemistry drastically chances. CBD may act as an antidepressant to help reduce anxiety and depression and also stabilize the overall mood in women. It does this by acting as a serotonin receptor, which helps to quell symptoms of anxiety and depression over time.
- Sleep Issues: Many women going through menopause have reported issues with improper and disturbed sleep. Anyone who does not receive enough restful sleep knows that daily life can be significantly impacted. CBD can help reduce sleep disturbance and the anxiety that often accompanies it.
- Bone Density: Women who go through menopause are at risk for bone density loss, which can increase the risk for bruises and fractures. Recent studies have shown that CBD communicates with the cannabinoid receptor that is responsible for bone loss. This communication will, therefore, reduce the rate of bone loss in women who are going through menopause.
- Joint Aches and Pains: Inflammatory molecules cause joints to become inflamed. CBD helps to reduce the inflammation through its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Hot Flashes and Night Sweats: Sleep disruption is also caused by hot flashes and night sweats. Altered neurochemistry in the body’s natural thermostat, or hypothalamus, causes blood vessel dilation and sweat response to be too easily switched on. CBD can help to alleviate the effects of hot flashes and night sweats by influencing the body’s serotonin system.
- Weight Gain: Decreased levels of estrogen mean that a woman will burn fewer calories and less fat during exercise. Ongoing hormonal shifts also signal the body to create less lean muscle and more abdominal fat. CBD is great in helping with weight gain because it lowers insulin levels. Researchers have also found that CBD contributes to a healthy weight by turning on the genes responsible for a healthy metabolism.
CBD For Menopause
Hemp and cannabis-derived CBD oils are gaining in popularity among women who are going through menopause. Both testimonials and scientific research have found that CBD is useful for women experiencing menopause who are also experiencing:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Joint aches and pain
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness, atrophy, and bladder control issues
- Sleep disturbances
- Memory loss
Even though there are not that many studies out there supporting the effectiveness of CBD in the treatment of menopause, testimonials and other studies show that CBD is highly effective at treating and alleviating some of the major symptoms of menopause like hot flashes, weight gain, anxiety and depression, and sleep disturbances.
As with any new supplement or medication, you should always first speak to your physician about starting a new health regimen with CBD and what the potential side effects could be if CBD is taken along with prescription medication and other medical treatments. Also, always follow dosing instructions for whatever method of CBD you may be using (vape, edible, oil, or topical cream).