Does CBD Oil Work For Migraines?
You are laying down in your bedroom with the lights off and the door shut, but the pounding just will not go away. What are you missing on the other side of that door? Are your friends hanging out? Are your kids playing or eating dinner?
Migraines are terrible and debilitating, but there may be a new glimmer of hope for those suffering from acute or chronic migraines. While you have probably tried everything from OTC medications to meditation, one natural supplement that many have yet to discover is CBD.
Millions of individuals worldwide are already experiencing the benefits of CBD in helping them improve the quality of their life and to deal with a myriad of issues. While research on the ability of CBD to help with migraines is lacking at this time, studies are underway, and you don’t have to look far to find anecdotal feedback from real users swearing by its use.
As we dig into this topic, we’ll explore what makes a migraine different from other headaches, and the known mechanisms by through which CBD may act to help.
What is a Migraine?
Headaches can be awful, but migraines are on a different level. Around 14% of the American population suffers from migraines.
Here are symptoms to watch for if you suspect that you suffer from migraines:
- Symptoms last from 4 hours to 72 hours
- Moderate to severe throbbing pain, sometimes concentrated on one side
- Pain around the eyes, temples, face, jaw, and neck
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and/or smell
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Wavy lines, flashes, or dots can be seen
- Your arm or face tingles before the migraine begins
With symptoms like these, it is easy to see how migraines can interfere with daily life. Chronic migraine suffers can have this happen multiple times a month. But CBD oil can bring relief to those who deal with migraines.
Using CBD Oil to Treat Migraines
The most important thing to remember when treating migraines with CBD is to be consistent. While CBD has been showing to have acute effects immediately after dosing, taking CBD as a preventative measure may also make sense. This is especially true if the underlying cause of your migraines may be related to inflammation.
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system to increase the amount of cannabinoids in the body. It may take weeks for the oil to reach full effectiveness.
How CBD Oil May Aid in Mediating Migraine Symptoms
There are a few different ways that CBD oil can assist with migraine relief.
- Muscle and joint pain – Pain, tension and stiffness in the musculature around your head, neck, shoulders and upper back can contribute to the occurrence of migraines. CBD works as a pain reliever and as an anti-inflammatory. Migraines release inflammatory agents into the body, which CBD can combat.
- Anti-nausea – CBD may help reduce nausea that often accompanies migraines and may reduce vomiting when experiencing migraines. The intense stimulation from migraines can cause people to feel sick.
- Scientific studies conducted in 2015 and 2016 confirm that all migraine sufferers experience some form of relief when using CBD oil, and that the average person may be able to reduce the occurrence of from 10 migraines a month to 4.
- While CBD users experience success with acute flare-ups, it works best under preventative use.
- Your endocannabinoid system can be deficient, just like having a vitamin deficiency. Using CBD oil may allow your system to recover, making you healthier, improving your overall quality of life and general well-being.
Considering the above, CBD oil may be worth a consideration for those who suffer from migraines. It is important to note that everyone reacts differently and as such some experimentation with both dosing and delivery methods may be required.
Nasty Side Effects of Harsh Medicine and Pharmaceuticals
We don’t want to discount or brush off the use of medication. Medicine helps countless individuals worldwide with an infinite number of medical conditions. But that doesn’t mean that medication is always the answer, and some come with a spectrum of troublesome side effects that many are seeking to avoid.
Further, migraine medicine doesn’t always work as advertised, and those who take medicine can often experience nasty side effects including:
- Acid Reflux
- Stomach inflammation
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Chest tightness
- And more
You should always follow your doctor’s advice, but that doesn’t mean you can’t talk with them about CBD as a potential therapeutic aid for migraines. CBD is natural, with companies like Rebel producing pure, potent blends designed to help you relax and restore.
CBD is also non-habit forming, may offer a myriad of other health benefits, and has very few side effects all of which are mild, and most of which individuals never experience.
Avoiding Long-Term Medication Use
Medication can be great as a short-term option for relief but needing to use medication on a daily basis sometimes causes more harm than good. Between side effects, potential long term risks, dependency and costs, long-term medication might not be right for everyone. Again, always discuss potential alternative options with your doctor, but if long-term prescriptions cause you concern, don’t be afraid to bring it up with your physician.
Natural supplements like CBD, in combination with diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes may allow you to reduce or even eliminate the need for harsh pharmaceuticals.
The Studies on CBD are Promising
While more research needs to be conducted, the evidence that has surfaced thus far has shown incredible promise for the use of CBD to help with a great many medical issues and associated symptoms, one of which could be migraines.
Here are a few results of research on CBD:
- Pain was reduced by 55 percent.
- Side effects were fewer than those from medication.
- CBD oil affects both the nervous system and the brain in treating migraines.
- In one study, 85 percent of participants noticed a major improvement.
Whether migraines were reduced, eliminated, or less symptomatic, there was no argument that CBD oil is a positive force against them.
Experience is the Best Teacher
The best way to learn about the positive benefits of using CBD oil is to start using it yourself. Find a pure, certified oil with positive consumer comments and begin with the recommended dose. You will soon notice a positive difference when it comes to your own migraines.
Each person is different and responds differently to CBD oil. You may need to adjust your dose a few times before you figure out the perfect amount for you. Remember to be consistent with your use and know that it will take a few weeks to become fully effective.
Leave Your Migraines Behind
There is no reason to continue to allow migraines to oppress you. Whether or not you have tried other solutions for your migraines, evidence and anecdote support the use of CBD oil. Continuous use of CBD oil can help you live life again.
Don’t let everyone else have all the fun without you. Learn how to manage your migraines through the use of CBD oil.